Saturday, 7 January 2012

Tanks!

When I started wargaming it was a made up game using my Airfix model tanks. I was probably about 13 or 14 years old. When I was 15 I bought Bruce Quarries Tank Battles in Miniature 2 which concerns the Eastern Front in WW2. I was bought a selection of GHQ tanks and SPGs and made a winter landscape using ceiling tiles and garden twigs. I painted the tanks badly and played some enjoyable games with them.


I fancied a game capturing some the the simplicity and fun of those early battles and so came up with the idea of a free for all scenario with random deployments and unit entry. I used Rapid Fire! rules without any pesky infantry, anti-tank guns and other complications like morale.

 Where it started.
 The newish and the old.
 A German Panther unit is first on.
SU-152s next.
 Another unit of Panthers arrive on the flank of the SU-152s.
 And do a bit of damage.
 A T-34 unit arrives next. One of these dates from when I was about 13 years old!.
The T-34s have a success.
 Kazinsky's SU-152s fight back.
 StuGs arrive behind the T-34s.
 And do a lot of damage.
 The Russian heavies arrive and target the Panthers.
 A hard fight between the Panthers and the SU_152s.
 The German SPAT unit arrives.
But are flanked by a unit of JSU-152s.
 An overview of the table :- no secure flanks in this game.
 The StuGs advance

 The StuGs are destroyed by the JS-2s.
 The Russians have won but only just.

Here are the original GHQ 1/285th scale models that I used all those years ago.
SU-85s.


T-34s.
JS-2s in both scales.

And Jagdpanthers too.

True veterans these I did repaint them about 10 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. Pauly,
    That takes me back, and looks like a blast too!
    Excuse me... I have to go fondle some tanks.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. A freewheeling sort of game! How I wish (sniff) I had remembered to take my camera to the (sob) club today...

    ReplyDelete