Wednesday, 27 August 2014

Commands and Colors blocks used for Black Powder.

As I was driving home from work last night the ABS warning light came on. The brakes were ok and I made it home alright. This morning though, when I set off I found that I had a grinding noise and very little in the way of brakes. Luckily the roads were quiet and I made it to the mechanics safely. Well I couldn't get to work, what could I do...

I had this game set up since the weekend. I had planned to play it tomorrow (day off) but I'll make up the time then.
 The inspiration for this was the maps in Bruce Quarries classic book.

 I used my Commands and Colors blocks for the armies and used the lists from the Napoleonic scenario in the Black Powder Rule book.
 I used centimetres instead of inches for all ranges and movement.
 French marching columns.

 As always I forgot about the broken brigade rules until too late, ah well.
 The lying down artillery pieces signified limbered guns.





 At this point I decided that I should check brigade and army morale and marked the broken brigades with a red counter.
 Both armies were beat. I called it as a narrow French victory.




I will do this again probably on a 4x4 board rather than 2x4 with a bit more forethought, a proper scenario with objectives.

But as an experiment the little blocks work very well in my opinion. I could even use my ancients blocks for Hail Caesar.
What do you reckon?.

No comments:

Post a Comment