Monday, 26 October 2015

Seleucids and Indians

Today I'm featuring a battle using my Ancients rules. Seleucids face the Indians on a largely open plain. Here are a few shots of the action...
 The toys are mostly Museum Miniatures with some Tabletop too.
 A look down the Indian line. I have some new ones to paint up that I bought at Shildon last week.

 Antiochus and his Companions are in a bit of a fix, wavering, and attacked in the flank by elephants.
 Some of his cavalry charge home.
 I had twelve elephants in this battle.
 Horse archers, artillery and bow armed skirmishers.
 Many different troop types were a good test of the rules.
 When a unit charges another the charged unit must conform to the charger then another charger may attack the flank or rear if they are in the right arc.
 Wavering units are marked with the red counters.
 The Seleucid left wing is defeated.
 And their centre is heavily engaged.
 Antiochus joins his phalangites in the centre.
 But is surrounded and defeated.
 Maiden Guard outflank the pikemen.
 I played the battle till one side lost twelve units, the Indians won 13-9.
I'm very pleased with these rules, they are just a version of the Horse and Musket ones I published recently. They suit my way of playing solo, I'm sure that other players could break them and find them full of holes big enough to drive a bus through.
Here they are...

ANCIENT WAR GAME RULES

ROLL FOR WHICH  SIDE TAKES THE FIRST TURN THEN TAKE ALTERNATE TURNS

TURN SEQUENCE :   MOVE ALL UNITS AND GENERALS, USE GENERALS TO RALLY WAVERING UNITS, COMBAT ( SHOOT OR MELEE IN ORDER DECIDED BY THE PLAYER WHOSE TURN IT IS ).

ONLY THE PLAYER WHOSE TURN IT IS ROLLS TO RESOLVE COMBAT.

MOVEMENT : UNITS MAY PIVOT AT THE START AND/OR THE END OF THEIR MOVE

MAXIMUM MOVES ARE:   LIGHT HORSE, LIGHT CHARIOTS , GENERAL ON HORSE  12          MEDIUM HORSE  10       HEAVY CHARIOTS, ELEPHANTS, HEAVY  HORSE  8          LIGHT INFANTRY, GENERAL ON FOOT 6      MEDIUM INFANTRY 5     HEAVY INFANTRY 4 ARTILLERY 2

EVASION:
LIGHT HORSE MAY EVADE HEAVIER ENEMY WHO MOVE TO CONTACT THEM, LIGHT INFANTRY MAY EVADE HEAVIER ENEMY INFANTRY WHO MOVE TO CONTACT THEM. EVADE AT 1D6 INCHES FOR LIGHT INFANTRY AND 2D6 FOR LIGHT HORSE AND CHARIOTS, IF CAUGHT BY THE CHARGER THEY AUTOMATICALLY WAVER AND MUST FIGHT.

LIGHT INFANTRY MAY INTERPENETRATE ANY FRIENDLY UNITS.

DIFFICULT TERRAIN IS ONLY PASSABLE FOR INFANTRY, HEAVY INFANTRY MOVE AT HALF SPEED.

COMBAT: UNITS HAVE THREE CONDITIONS: FULL STRENGTH, WAVERING OR DESTROYED.

TO CAUSE AN ENEMY UNIT TO WAVER ROLL TWO D6 AND SCORE NINE+, TO CAUSE A WAVERING UNIT TO BE DESTROYED ROLL TWO D6 AND SCORE NINE+. A NATURAL TWELVE ALWAYS SUCCEEDS AND A NATURAL TWO ALWAYS FAILS, THERE ARE MODIFIERS TO THE DICE ROLL.

SHOOTING RANGES:     JAVELINS 3    BOWS, SLINGS 8    CROSSBOWS, LONGBOWS 10    ARTILLERY  24 - ALL SHOOTERS EXCEPT CROSSBOWS AND ARTILLERY MAY MOVE AND SHOOT IN A TURN, ALL SHOOTERS HAVE A 45 DEGREE SHOOTING ARC.


COMBAT MODIFIERS: 
+1
ELITE TROOPS

GENERAL WITH UNIT

HORSE VS. NON SPEAR OR PIKE ARMED FOOT IN MELEE

FORMED INFANTRY IN MELEE WITH LIGHT INFANTRY

HEAVY INFANTRY IN MELEE WITH MEDIUM INFANTRY

HEAVY HORSE IN MELEE WITH MEDIUM HORSE

MEDIUM HORSE IN MELEE WITH LIGHT HORSE

FIGHTING ENEMY DOWNHILL



+2
ENFILADE SHOOTING

FLANK ATTACK

ENEMY IS WAVERING

ELEPHANTS IN MELEE WITH HORSE

HEAVY HORSE IN MELEE WITH LIGHT HORSE

+3 
REAR ATTACK

IN MELEE WITH ARTILLERY

-1
ENEMY IN COVER

IN MELEE WITH ENEMY UPHILL

ENEMY ARE CATAPHRACTS

-2 
WAVERING UNIT IN COMBAT

ELEPHANTS IN MELEE WITH LIGHT INFANTRY

ENEMY IN FORTIFICATIONS

HORSES FIGHTING PIKEMEN FRONTALLY

-3

HORSES FIGHTING ELEPHANTS

ARTILLERY IN MELEE

SCYTHED CHARIOTS:  FIGHT ONCE AND THEN ARE REMOVED FROM PLAY BUT DO NOT COUNT AS A DESTROYED UNIT.

COMMAND:  GENERALS MAY RALLY A WAVERING UNIT BY JOINING THE UNIT AND ROLLING NINE WITH TWO D6.    EXCEPTIONAL GENERALS MAY HAVE A BONUS OF ONE OR TWO.

A GENERAL WITH A DESTROYED UNIT IS REMOVED AS A CASUALTY BY SCORING TWO WITH TWO D6.

VICTORY: SCENARIOS SHOULD HAVE A NUMBER OF OBJECTIVES FOR EACH SIDE, OBJECTIVES BEING UNITS DESTROYED OR GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATIONS CAPTURED etc.

FIRST SIDE TO SCORE THE REQUIRED NUMBER IS THE WINNER.

5 comments:

  1. Quite an engaging article, Paul. I've taken the liberty of copying your rule set onto a word file, reformatting it a bit (Numbering, bullet points, Nice title with author's name). I reckon I'll give them a crack shortly. I infer that the measurements are in inches, but I don't recall the scale of your figures (not that it probably matters a whole lot).

    I don't get a clear picture (this just from a quick read) of the effects of depth of formation. I appreciate your rule set is tailored to your own armies, so certain types of weapon won't feature. Nor will mixed 'spear and bow' units I dare say. As my armies were designed around DBM, I don't want particularly to change them, so I will have to 'write in' certain adaptations.

    Still, it will be an interesting exercise! Thanks for publishing.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ion,
      I'm very pleased that you find these rules interesting.They are still in development and ideas are very welcome, the ancient period is so complex with all its troop and weapon types.
      To answer your points specifically, the little men are 15mm and I just used inches to suit me.
      Depth of formation doesn't matter, a unit is just a unit. If you wanted to model the Theban extra deep formation just give them a +1 modifier. I class my pila armed Romans as elite +1. I need to write some army lists, a lot of this is just in my head at present!.
      As for mixed spear and bow I would probably let them shoot at normally and fight as a spear unit normally, -1 to each activity would probably hamper them too much to be historical. Again any ideas are very welcome.
      For your DBM bases just group them into units with the same frontage to suit your taste, but I think the game is best with 15+ units per side.
      Thanks again, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
      Paul.

      Delete
    2. I have some ideas for adaptation to my own circumstances, but I don't want to get into those too far before giving the present 'Beta' set an airing. My own figures are 15mm, but I'm also looking for something in the pike and shot area, where most of my stuff is 20-25mm plastics. DBM and DBR have their virtues, but also their problematics. I did write a rule set for my 30YW stuff about 20 years back. I'm thinking of resurrecting those,,,

      Delete
  2. Hello Paul,

    I am with Ion. I copied your rules to a Word document on the weekend (but have not tidied them up). I really like the combat modifiers that differentiate the troop types and situations. There is a fair amount of nuance in them. I will have to try and find the time to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaun, as I said to Ion ,I'm very pleased that you are so interested. As you say there is more subtlety in the modifiers than is immediately apparent.
      Also as I said to Ion any ideas are very welcome, I look forward to hearing from you.
      Paul.

      Delete